Thursday, March 6, 2014

Lousy Smarch Weather


For most normal countries, winter consists of the months of December, January February (or June, July August for Southern Hemispheres like where I hail from). Wikipedia can back me up. It's on the internet so it must be true.

But no, not in Canada, and definitely not in Montreal. It's currently early March and this is what I had to deal with on the way to work today.

(Montreal winters are lengthy)


Yep, that's -20 in early March. Although it was sunny as shit, and very little wind chill to destroy your face, it's still an effort to put on enough clothes and layers so you don't DIE when you go outside. You want to leave for work by 8am? Start getting dressed around 7:30, it's going to take a while.

I must admit, it hasn't been as crazy as I was led to believe or as intense as I thought it was going to be. Yes sure, -20 is not normal (although I've come to accept it to be a part of my daily life) and when the temperatures rise to single digits (but still in the negatives), everyone rejoices at the fact we can go outside without considering that extra 4th layer of clothing.

In saying that, although early January was probably the worst and coldest of all this winter (like everyone said it would be), I find myself dealing with March weather in a much less positive way. January I was ready for, it was built up to be the worst and yes it was the worst. Just look at my previous post, my freaking face froze. -41 wind chill is not a happy experience. But no one said it would still feel the same in March. Yes jokingly people said winter lasts forever, but at most I thought by now it would be a tiny bit milder.

It's definitely a psychological thing.

Winter is over, technically it should be spring, there should be flowers blooming and birds doing bird stuff and something and so on. But no, it's still the same intense cold and snow is still everywhere and I'm still looking at my feet when walking outside for 99% of the time in fear of ice. And every second day it snows. Don't get me wrong, when it snows it's super pretty.

On a more somber note, during my walk home from work I've seen the same dead pigeon on the side of the road for the last month, I thought it disappeared underneath a foot of snow, but no, the snow melts away and it's still there. Frozen until summer I'm assuming. I think I will name it Bob.

Lousy Smarch weather...

No comments:

Post a Comment